Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ethnomusicality

Yesterday during my Sociology of Language class we had a guest speaker who is an Ethnomusicologist (studies the use of music in cultures/society) working with SIL (a Christian organization that does translation work). What was most interesting about this class was the variety of music we listened to. The styles were so dynamic, everything from 'talking drums' from Malawi (which literarily speak.....I knew the drum beats gave a message, but to realize that whenever the drums were hit, it wasn’t just an amorphous message like "Come, its time to pray", or 'HELP!' but watched a video which showed that it is actually a detailed surrogate language, where words are differentiated according to the different tones of the drum which are adjusted according to the tightening of some ropes, so one man was drumming and another man was actually translating what the drummist was saying 'crusade style' giving specific instructions and messages like 'Praise God my soul....the Lord reigns from on high'...it was mind-blowing!), to tonal languages in Siberia where we listened to a song that had only one word which was sang at the end of the song, but the song mainly comprised of the sound of water running in a stream and a man making a type of water sound with his voice that fluctuated up and down forming different notes and tones, all this the people from that particular tribe can understand and interpret into the story of the song! Music, is a tool of communication, it speaks for a people, reflecting their culture, their beliefs, their heart, their essence.
Growing up listening to Mother Gooses songs, graduating to Cool and the Gang, Michael Jackson (remember 'Off the wall' ) all the way to being sucked into the Wonderful world of Rock sampling the likes of Aerosmith, through to U2....Music that embodied the culture and expression of my people did not exist for me, the most I heard of Kikuyu music was in matatus or family/community events like weddings and funerals, where in both, the style had a distinct 'western flavor' , such as Kikuyu Hymns which are actually English Hymns translated into Kikuyu, or just didn’t count considering 'werokamu!...wakinya....sitidowni!' ...is....well it has a lot of borrowed words. (..I never heard a Kikuyu traditional song at the Music festivals as a child..which I really didn’t participate in, expect to play the guitar!) Sitting there in class was just absolutely amazing, as I listened to a myriad of expressions of the soul and the hearts of a people, expressions that were different, actually quite weird sometimes, but authentic nonetheless...it just did not fit into my narrow experience. In fact the amazement I had slowly turned to a distinctly saddening feeling ...I found I was startled to discover that even with the advent of vernacular FM stations, the language(s) may be alive, but is the music dead? Though I am African, somehow I suddenly felt I was unethnic! Could this be true? Is that actually a possibility. Yes, I may not speak the language, but I still consider myself a Kikuyu, a Kenyan, an African, but what makes me these things apart from the color of my skin, my kinky hair, my name and the location of my house? Is that enough? Yes, culture is dynamic and changing, and we definitely can't (and don't want to) go back to cow hides and cowrie shells, but if music with its rhythms and tones, melodies and harmonies is a reflection of a part of ourselves, then have we lost a part of us?...do we care? And even if we do....considering many of us grew up in this New Africa, would a rediscovery of our past be a reclamation of our real self or just a neocolonialism of the New African by our education, desiring a connection to the tarnished 'glory' of the past, enslaving us to chasing a wind that can never be captured?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow Njeri, you have some valuable thoughts there... It is hard to know the answer to all that, but I agree with you that there is something very wonderful about the variety of music, language, art and even things like how we decorate our homes that is found all around the world. I believe this is one of God's gifts to himself and us as well, to be enjoyed just for the pure beauty and fun of it! So, when I think about how much the western culture, "my" culture, has spread throughout the world, I feel bad. I also think about the reality that, as you said, people don't want to start wearing cow hides again. But, I think it is critical that all the cultures that are existing today, truly think about who they want to be in the future. Go with what you have now, rooted in who you were, and consciously decide who you will be tomorrow. What will your values be, what will your fashion be, what will your music be, etc.? I would LOVE to see modernity given multiple images rather than just the glittering image of a skyscraper or a slim lady wearing large sunglasses and carrying her Louis Vitton bag. (I know I spelled that wrong; apologies. I don't have one.). Not that this type of modernity is bad, but what does it look like to be a modern Indian or a modern Chinese? Surely their own fashions can be built upon and contribute to a distinctly Chinese modernity! If we all pursue one kind of culture, we'll miss out on the beauty of the varieties God has given us. So let's balance the past; our foundations, and be creative as we retain our uniqueness at the same time that we create something new! Just don't be copying one model in becoming New Africa, because that isn't really new.

This leaves much to be said and doesn't really get at all aspects of your question. But its my reaction as it struck a chord that I've been concerned about. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. And yes, ethnomusicology is great! I took one course on it in university and loved it!

Anonymous said...

Great weblog Njeri ... though it is ... aehmn ... pink! ;)
And thank you so much for excellent thoughts. I completely understand your concern.
In my opinion culture should be viewed in the balance between continuity and discontinuity. Sometimes we tend to view culture as merely historical/traditional/continuous (this is a point where I would criticize the approach taken in the ethnomusicality class). Applied to Africa my suggestion is that being an african maybe shouldn't be defined only on the basis of history. On the other hand it should neither be defined on the basis of adoption from other cultures.
For me being a Dane doesn't mean hanging onto the 20'th century Denmark, but instead to adopt things that modern 'danishness' offers (which was absent 50 years ago): pluralism, secularism, american fashion and music, eastern philosophy etc. At the same time I appreciate some traditional 'Danish' things.
I believe modernisms are and should be different, and that they'll always be founded in the different histories.
Keep thinking, Njeri, you have very valuable thoughts for the future of Africa.

(Btw, don't look at the time this comment was written :S ... Clue: I'm sitting right behind you ;) )

Njeri said...

Thanks for your feedback!
Much appreciated! Debbie, I like that thought about Chinese modernity...that modernity does not necessarily equal western is...profound! Soren, Thank you, you are such an encourager!

Dogpile